GetReal is passionate about getting CS out there for everyone, because we believe it’s vital for future generations to know. Just about all the jobs you can imagine use computers, and all of the most innovative and world-benefiting (as well as best-paying) jobs center around them and computer science.
CSEDWeek is every year, during the week of Grace Hopper’s birthday—she’s widely regarded as the OG of the computer science world.
Grace Hopper was one of the first computer programmers, came up with the idea of having programming languages on a higher level than machine code, actually developed one of the first programming languages, developed one of the first compilers, and made the term ‘debugging’ popular. Oh, and she was an admiral in the Navy. (That’s right, one of the first and coolest computer scientists was female. Not a male-dominated field!)
What you can do for CSEDWeek:
- Get the facts on CS education and CS work.
- Teach yourself programming.
- Sign the CSEDWeek pledge (free) and spread the word on your Facebook.
- Find some CSEDWeek events near you.
- Join your school’s OGPC team, or found your own. (This year’s game theme is being announced on the 13th so you can start soon. Read about last year’s OGPC event)