We’ll keep quiet today, and instead we’ll just provide you with some of the coolest engineering and computer science links on the net today!
- A very cool documentary about sustainable engineering and materials science. “Making Stuff: Cleaner.” 53 minutes long, but split into 10 minute chapters.
- An article about how Kenyan programmers and startup businesses are using mobile phones to change their world, by tracking the spread of diseases in real time.
- Most of the time, the serious innovation comes from decreasing the suck–meaning solving a real world problem. That’s where the jobs and the future are. But engineers get bored too, and that’s how a lot of innovation also comes from increasing the awesome–improving something just for fun. Read and watch about the “Board of Imagination,” a motorized skateboard that you control with your mind.
- In this wireless world we still need antennas to communicate with other wireless devices. Materials engineers came up with a clever idea: antennas you can spray anywhere!
- We’ve talked about graphene in the past, a new material that might lead to some great innovations in the electrical engineering world. Here’s a nice informational article on graphene.
- Finally, we like talking about 3d printers (and we have a local special coming up), so here’s a cool article about scientists using a 3d printer to print a robot dinosaur.